Thursday, October 11, 2007

Yay, Or Who Am I To Know What I Need

I got back in touch with an old friend from college yesterday and we've been pelting eachother with emails like it's a snowball fight. Now that the flurry is dying down, I wondered rather stupidly -- did I ask for this? Did I need this? I know I never sat in meditation and said "Hey, universe, can you make sure so-and-so gets my email address?" But another little window of joy in my heart just creakily slid open, so I'm just going to say yay.

Another thing. I was writing my friend about recent travels and I found myself saying "You know, we go to San Francisco every year to visit family and friends and after that it's hard to travel anywhere. Well, we do visit family at the Jersey Shore every year. And in Vermont. And last year we stayed on a houseboat in Paris for two weeks, but that was just an opportunity that came up to celebrate my friend's birthday."

Here I am, judging my own fantastic experiences, because they just sort of happened to me as opposed to me getting to plan them. I'm complaining about my own serendipity; I'm complaining about my good fortune; I'm complaining about, perhaps, the gifts I'm being given by the universe.

I'm like this with everything. It is very stupid. I shall stop now.

And should you ever get to stay in a houseboat on the Seine, pack sweaters and cough syrup, it gets bone crushingly cold at night. Sometimes the heat won't work and then the most gorgeous strapping blond electrician in the known universe will show up on his moped and fix it for you, which ain't so bad. Oh, and also, enjoy every damn minute of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. So true. Sometimes we complain about stuff we should be celebrating. As Chandler mockingly once said in one of my favorite episodes of "Friends"...'Oooh, my wallet's too small for my $50's, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

Anonymous said...

And that ain't all. Just the other day you said that you always dread travel, right before you leave, until you get there. The fact that your travel thus always happen through serendipity, rather than planning, may be the universe's subtle way of prodding you and saying "Hey you, you have things to learn away from home, and I am going to teach you, whether you like it or not." OOOOO-ahhhhh! How's that for spiritual?

Anonymous said...

Natsound, that is a great quote. I'm going to say that every time I catch myself complaining from now on.