Tuesday, December 4, 2007

File Under -- Please help the people of New Orleans

And I'm sure most people reading this have asked for that over the last three years.

I've been struggling with the idea of holiday gifts this year, for myself and for others. My kid doesn't really need the metric ton of toys he is going to get and the people I work with really don't need another -- MILKFAT SPOILER ALERT -- Junior's Cheesecake .

We finally finshed our lists last night, but what I really want is to get someone in New Orleans a hot water heater. And it looks like I can.

This awesome-seeming organization, Make It Right NOLA, (hat tip to the New York Times)spearheaded by Hottie McHottie Pants -- er, Brad Pitt, which means Hottie McHottie pants in at least 8 languages -- and a group of eco-conscious architects, is working to help rebuild the Ninth Ward with 150 sustainable homes. You can apparently pick something specific to donate, like a hot water heater or a tree.

So, Mom, because I know you read this, let's talk about making small donations to eachother's charities of choice, along with the 707 stuffed with Muppet paraphenalia that I know is due your grandson, or He Who Flies Around The Room On Golden Angel Wings, and Never Does Anything Irksome At All, at least, Not In Front of Grandma. It would be a nice lesson in giving for He Who Flies, and it might be a nice new family tradition.

And by the way, Brad Pitt, well played, but you are totally stealing my husband's look. Knock it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So my real question here is- Really? I never figured you for the Brad Pitt type. I thought he was too blond and wholesome for your dark and tortured tastes....

But, just so I don't sound totally shallow, and so I can get a plug in for my own charity of choice, I'd like to mention that I think the NoLa campaign is great! We give something to charity every year. This year, we are going to participate in a program that gives inexpensive computers to children in the developing world. An MIT engineer has built a $200 computer that is kid friendly, has extra long battery life, and can withstand heat, sand etc. And since the digital divide is growing exponentially in this information age, it is more important than ever that the children of the have not nations of the world don't get left further behind, we are donating one of these computers. http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/index.php

Anonymous said...

Oh! I've heard all about that conmputer. It has been featured in many of the tech and green tech blogs that I read for work. It's great you guys are doing that.