Sunday, August 12, 2007

Question #3: Universe, I need to know if this blog is a good idea. I'll stop asking after this.

No direct answer from the great starry neverendingness, but I did hear a story from a stranger that I thought was worth posting, so I'll take that as a "yes" until further notice.

While on line at the drugstore today, my son asked me for a piece of gum. The gentleman behind me made a comment that he'd love a piece of gum but he couldn't afford the calories.

I said ten calories wasn't so bad. He said he watched everything he eats now because he'd had some health problems.

My husband chatted with him about running and we talked about our son and his grandaughter.

As my husband went to pay for our things, the gentleman told me he had been in 9/11 and had retired soon after and gained a lot of weight by 2002, and ever since he'd worked hard to take better care of himself.

"Were you in the twin towers?" I asked.

"I worked at Cantor Fitzgerald," he said. From his build and demeanor I expected him to tell me he'd been a cop, but he was a trader. I told him I was so sorry.

"Every Sunday I go the gym and I run on the treadmill and I burn 911 calories. That's my ritual."

"That's a good workout," I said, right before the number dawned on me.

"It's for 9/11," he said, without further explanation. I nodded and said I thought that was a good thing. I don't know what his exact reason is, if he has one, but any one way of looking at it I could think of was a good one. He's here, he's alive, he's taking care of himself, he needs to remember, he needs to honor the people he lost. Whatever it is.

We all said goodbye and I told him it had been nice talking to him.

And it's been nice talking to you. Until tomorrow.

No comments: